Treatment Period: 20-30 Minutes
Return to Social Life: 1 Day
The operation known as upper eyelid blepharoplasty is applied to the upper eyelids. In the operation, both the sagged tissues and excess adipose tissues are removed and also the tissues surrounding the eyes are lifted. Sagging in the upper eyelids generally occurs via aging.
Severe sagging occurs on the skin of the upper eyelids that acquiesces to gravity. Besides, some problems such as the bags under the eyes, skin loosening, wrinkles, and discoloration may also occur. Sagging in the upper eyelids may occur due to solar exposure, irregular sleep, air pollution, smoking, and using alcohol besides aging.
When is Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty Done?
Upper eyelid blepharoplasty is generally performed for the patients over 35 years old. The reason is that the aging signs occurred on the eyelids reveal after the age of 35 in general. However, it is medically possible to have the individuals have upper eyelid blepharoplasty at any age. The surgery is not effective in stopping the aging process occurred in eyelids. However, it may prevent the effects of aging up to 7-8 years.
Points to Consider Before Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty
There are some important issues to be considered before upper eyelid blepharoplasty. In general, the said points to be considered are as follows:
- Bleeding will occur during the surgery. You need to stop using anticoagulants in order to prevent dense and unstoppable bleeding. Also, you need to stop taking drugs such as aspirin and antibiotics.
- Smoking and using alcohol will extend the recovery period. Thus, stop smoking and using alcohol before and after the operation.
- As it may cause unexpected various effects, stop taking herbal supplements before the operation, if any.
How is Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty Done?
Upper eyelid blepharoplasty, also called as ptosis surgery, is the removal of the excess skin and muscle tissues in the region. Small incisions are made in the area and the excess skin on the upper eyelid is removed. Incisions are made from the folding line of the eyelid to have the surgical scars be minimum and not to have the traces seen. Best results are obtained by performing the operation together with brow lift and forehead lift operations.
Recovery Period After Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty:
The patients are not hospitalized after upper eyelid blepharoplasty. They can be discharged on the same day and return to their social life 1 day after this simple operation. The patients came from abroad can return to their home after the control session which is 1 week after the operation.
Swelling around the eyes may occur for 2-3 days after the upper eyelid blepharoplasty surgery. It is possible to minimize swelling by using ice treatment. Swelling will give way to ecchymosis after a short period of time. However, it is also possible to mention that these ecchymoses will disappear within a short time. Sutures are taken 1 week after the operation. Complete recovery is seen in the eyelids within approximately 4 weeks.
Points to Consider After Eyelid Blepharoplasty
There are some details to be considered after eyelid blepharoplasty. It is possible to state these details as follows.
- Patients to whom eyelid blepharoplasty was applied should avoid getting their eye area damaged in any way in the first postoperative week. Also, the patients should avoid doing exercises that may harm their eye area.
- Use the medicine recommended by your doctor for various problems such as the sense of stinging and dryness.
- The patients need to sleep by keeping their head up for the first week.
- For a few weeks after the upper eyelid blepharoplasty, use sunglasses when going outside.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Will there be any scars after the eyelid blepharoplasty?
A small scar remains after every surgical procedure. However, the incisions in the eyelid blepharoplasty operation are made from the folds of the eyelid. Thus, the scars are invisible.
Is there an age limitation for eyelid blepharoplasty surgery?
Everyone over 18 years old can have the eyelid blepharoplasty surgery.
How long is the effect of eyelid blepharoplasty surgery?
The effects of eyelid blepharoplasty surgery last for about 7-8 years.